Saturday 23 April 2011

what life? what life? what life?

When I was young, I used to think that your life begins in your twenties. I used to picture myself living in condo by the beach while people in roller skates whizzed by my front door only slowing down to admire my shiny mini cooper. Now you might think that these are the absurd delusions of a 12 year-old girl but I can honestly tell you that these thoughts lingered until at least the last year of high school. I blame Will Smith of course, as you do. Specifically that one song in which he says miami a lot.

Real life is much more mundane, yes? Two years into my twenties, I've yet to graduate from college, find a job that doesn't require me to drink 10 cups of coffee just to get through, or be in possession of a mini cooper. NO MINI COOPER. Where did I go wrong? Why do I have so little to lose? In the quest of having it all, I really have nothing at all. If I die tomorrow, the only thing I'd be remembered as is as my parent's smart ass daughter. Which is not a lot, since being that is practically a birthright. See ma, I know my impudence doesn't amount to anything.

I sound like I'm complaining again. Well, I'm not. In the likely scenario that I'd be alive tomorrow, life would actually be pretty good. It's getting there. Not that I know where there is, but it's like when you're going down a really long country road, let's say on a bike. It's hilly and quite bumpy, but as you go along the view gets nicer and nicer. So by inductive logic, however frowned upon by your team-deductive college professors, you can only assume that you're going somewhere awesome. And you don't even mind the bike, cos you know your ass will be nice and sculpted by the time you get there. This is how I choose to see it. 80 percent of the time. The other 20 percent I'm not going to mention, since it's quite dreary, but lets just say it involves a very large and constantly swirling black hole.

Anyways, poorly constructed analogy aside, why the sudden cognizance of things impending you ask, my dear imaginary friends? Well, I just turned 22 a couple weeks ago. It was a good one. We had mexican. I saw some people I haven't seen in a while, some longer than others, overall a nostalgic week. I've come to realized though, now that I'm older,not having expectations for birthdays, makes it extra nice when they turned out to be good.


my partners in crimes and me
And this one reminded me, maybe my life haven't quite turned out the way I expected but maybe that's not a bad thing? I mean, I used to love S Club 7 and mcDonalds ice cream. What the hell did I know?

4 comments:

Xandega said...

yayyy.. u know.. i really like ur writing man... i don't care if ur analogy is poorly constructed or whatever, but i enjoyed reading it.. I don't know if it's got anything to do with me reading this at 4 AM.. but i really do enjoyed it..

i've been visiting ur blog for awhile but all i do is cravin and fixin my eyes on ur delicious lookin foods and bakes.. Ok, now i have to start paying attention to the words now.. ok..

jon said...

hahaha thanks, I'm glad you liked it. Yes even though its 4.20 am, even though you;re probably not of sound mind, I still appreciate the comment.

GrandmaAL said...

deep post bro, so deep. i found myself saying ''me too!" a lot. let's swirl in that black hole together shall we?

jon said...

invitation accepted grandma! see you on the other side.

Post a Comment