Tuesday 17 May 2011

how you like them apples..

I am currently on break.

Officially anyways.

Mentally, I'm still in that weird in-between phase where my mind is adjusting to a  much slower pace.

I can't wait until we fully transitioned.

This is my contribution to that process..



That is my apple cake. Did I tell you that apples are my favourite fruit to bake with? I haven't? Well, apples are my favourite fruit to bake with. Way ahead on berries or citruses.

Since I'm not feeling the least bit chatty today, lets get to it, shall we?



I got this recipe from David Lebovitz's site. My favourite part of this one is that it calls for different types of apples. As many as you can find and whatever you can find. I have there some cherry apples, local "manalagi" apples, granny smiths and the red USA crisp apples. Coincidentally, these are all quite sour apples, which I think balances the sweetness of the cake perfectly.

 
French Apple Cake
French Apple Cake
Adapted from davidlebovitz.com
  • 110 gr flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 100 gr butter (room temperature)
  • 150 gr sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  •  Rum
Firstly, peel and core the apples, then dice them into 1-inch pieces.

Secondly, preheat your oven to 180 Celcius.

Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until foamy then add the sugar, vanilla and rum. The amount of rum is entirely dependent on your preference but if you want to leave it out completely, double or triple the amount of vanilla.

Throw in the flour mixture and mix well before adding the butter.

Now the batter is ready. Get some parchment paper and line your cake pan. Pop the apples into the batter and fold them until they're nice and covered. Spoon the cake mixture into the pan. Use the remaining batter to make sure the apples are covered and the cake is somewhat flat on top.

Bake for 55 minutes- 1 hour. Additionally, when the cake is done, turn on the broiler to brown the top of the cake for around 5 minutes.

Dust cake with some powder sugar and serve with custard.



Use this recipe to make the custard but instead of 1 2/3 cups of heavy cream, do 2 cups instead since a  runnier custard complements the apple cake perfectly.

Yield: 8 Serving

    1 comment:

    Chocolate said...

    I also like making recipes with apple. I feel the reason could be that the taste of apple can blend well with most of the essences. I'll definitely try this one but with a slight twist. I'll try pouring a slightly thicker custard. And lemme see how it goes...

    Post a Comment