Tuesday 15 March 2011

we have a winner..

I am happy to report that after consecutive weeks of disastrous Sundays we finally had a good one. The weather was nice, there were people, there were biscuits and crumbly deserts. All is right again. Of course it didn't hurt that my coursework was on track for once or that my boss has finally decided to cut me a break or the fact that my midterms score came out splendidly, oh and did I mention there were biscuits? and custard? and cakes?

Yes, cakes, in fact I was secretly hoping you'd notice the new addition by yourself, my dear imaginary friends, but in case you didn't, here it is. Not that you need any justification for adding cupcakey magic to anything but I've been baking them almost every week now that it'd just be a bit repetitive to post them on the main page every time.

Anyways, I've been thinking. This past few posts have all been about baked sweets of some kind and that was partly the reason I started this blog in the first place but you know there's only so much you can say about cakes right?.. wait what am I saying?? dear lord, such blasphemy. What I meant to say was I need to keep it fresh, for my sake, for your sake, for blood sugar's sake. So in that spirit, I present to you..

Bacon, Cheddar & Onion Biscuits
Okay, it's not a complete departure from my usual posts. Its baked, its brunch but baby steps people, baby steps.

Bacon Cheddar & Onion Biscuits
adapted from thepioneerwoman.com
  • 2 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • ¾ teaspoons Salt
  • ¼ cups Vegetable Shortening (crisco, Etc)
  • 10 Tablespoons Milk (whole Milk Is Best)
  • 4 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 10 slices Thick Cut Bacon, Fried & Chopped into tiny little pieces
  • 1 cup diced onion, sauteed.
  • 1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Firstly, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt then using a pastry cutter, cut in shortening until all combined. If you don't have a pastry cutter, you can always use a fork. Just press the shortening bits into the flour repetitively until they're thoroughly combined.

Pour the milk, oil, and egg in a separate bowl and whisk it all together.  Combine flour mixture, milk mixture, bacon, onions, and cheddar cheese in a large bowl. Stir gently until all combined.

Spoon batter into greased muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes on 190 C ( 375 Fahrenheit) until golden brown. Remove from pan and serve warm.



Yield: 12 biscuits.

1 comment:

Xandega said...

oh my good! by the hammer of thorr! aaaaaaaa! bacon!! cheddar!! onionn!! aaaa!

Post a Comment