Thursday 6 January 2011

No-Knead Pizza

I love eating out. Almost as much as I love cooking in, which is saying quite a lot believe me. When the occasion allows it, I will gladly hang up my apron and put my culinary faith in someone else’s, preferably, capable hands for the evening.
If you’re reading this you’ve probably notice that there is a new addition to the blog.  If you haven't, well, there is a new addition to the blog. For your reference needs and my own amusement, I present to you, the Jakarta Eater. I'll be writing about some of my most exciting food finds in this great metropolitan. From fancy upscale restaurants to rustic little food stands, I will go where my heart, and my wallet, takes me. 

Anyways, enough of the promo, after getting my Italian fix at Basilico the other day, I was inspired to make my own. Now, I've never made pizza before but since I've got some free time, there you go.


Ok, so obviously pizza is not the easiest thing in the world to make and I'll be honest, this post ain't about to change your mind. Having said that, I still think you should give it a go, if only for the satisfaction of being able to say "Yes, I've made a pizza from scratch therefore I'm awesome".

Making a pizza also takes some preparation, especially with the recipe I'm using, Jim Lahey's No-Knead Pizza dough, in which you have to leave the dough to rise for 16-24 hours before baking.  A traditional pizza recipe is quicker, but I just didn't feel like breaking into a sweat kneading my dinner and losing my appetite in the process. Wait, actually that's what I ended up doing anyway so, never mind.

The thing about this dough, making it is easy. Working with it is another story. The dough is extremely sticky, making it almost impossible to stretch, roll or toss. Believe me, I tried it all and then some. Being super defeated, I finally decided to use a baking tray and just slowly and patiently, stretch the dough out, filling the tray, making for a square pizza.

What you do need:
  • 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
  • 1/4 tbsp instant yeast
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup water
In a large bowl, mix the flour with the yeast and salt. Add the water and stir until blended (the dough will be very sticky). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 12 to 24 hours in a warm spot, about 70°.

Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and lightly sprinkle the top with flour. Fold the dough over on itself once or twice, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.

Divide the dough into 4 pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Generously sprinkle a clean cotton towel with flour and cover the dough balls with it. Let the dough rise for 2 hours.


Stretch or toss the dough into the desired shape, cover with toppings and bake on top of a very hot pizza stone.


Yield: 4 12-inch pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment