Saturday 1 January 2011

Day 1, 2011

Hello there, how was your last day of 2010? Mine was alright actually. I did start out the night gridlocked, but all's well that ends well I suppose. New year's resolution? To eat better, healthier whenever possible. Regrets? None whatsoever.
Sorry I couldn't take better pictures, I was a little caught up in the moment, if you know what I mean.


Well, happy new year dear readers. 2011 has finally arrived, bearing promises of thrills and excitements or, in my case, cookies. I am in Jakarta after all and that is just what we do during the holidays. See Indonesians have this thing, almost a tradition but more a habit I think, where we buy and trade all types of cookies, kue kering we call them, which literally translates to dry cakes, during the holidays. Except for the occasional chocolate chip cookie, anyone who knows me would tell you I am not a big cookie person. That's not saying I don't like them, I just don't like them like them.  But these ones, these ones are the ones I tell you. The moment I saw them. The heavens opened up and this was what I heard. They're pretty sweet. No, not like literally pretty sweet, more like awesome sweet. In reality, they're just a little sweet and tender and melt-in-your-mouth fantastic. And they're cheesy too, which if you have been following my blog, is kind of the compulsory trade of all my favourite food.

Tapioca Cheese Cookies
Now don't be mislead by the cheese in the name. These cookies are light and fragile and lovely. I promise.

What you need:
  • 300 gr tapioca powder, sifted
  • 50 gr corn starch, sifted
  • 50 gr flour, sifted
  • 130 gr margarine, room temperature
  • 100 gr butter, room temperature
  • 125 gr icing sugar
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 175 gr Edam cheese, grated  
First, whisk the butter, margarine and sugar together. Add the egg yolks and mix well. Combine the tapioca with the corn starch and flour then add to the butter/egg mixture. Add the cheese and mix well. I used a decorating tube to squeeze them into shape, you can do it however you want but try to use the tubes with the jagged edges. This makes for more surface area which gets the cookies to cook faster without browning too much.

Yield: A lot of cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment