Sunday 26 December 2010

Christmas coma..

Man, I love Christmas. I know, I know, I sound like a broken tape. It's just that Christmas always takes me back to my childhood Decembers, spent in the unforgiving cold of the Widnes outdoors. Where everyone would flock outside at the first sight of snow. Where hellos and Happy Christmas-ses flew out effortlessly, without caring who you knew and who you didn't. It was the only time of the year, where everyone had a mutual understanding that we were all a part of something nice and lovely and good. Something big.


No, I'm not talking about the birth of jesus christ (unless you're into that, then I guess I am). I'm talking about that familial feeling of love and hope and other sickeningly sweet things that only Christmas can afford. That feeling you get when you pass by rows of houses all decked out with bright lights and other sparkly things.  That feeling you get when the smell of freshly baked goods from the local bakery fills your airways. Yes, Widnes was that kind of town. Yes, we had that kind of Christmas.

Well even though my Christmas is not quite as picturesque these days, it's still my favourite time of the year and when my mom suggested eating out for Christmas this year, I fervently refused. I mean what would Christmas be without a home-cooked dinner?

We ended up with 2 Christmas dinners this year. One for Christmas eve, the other for Christmas Day. It was a hectic process that began a whole day before Christmas eve. Requests were considered, dibs were called, and workloads were assigned.  My mom would do the shopping, I'd do the cooking, with the help of my youngest sister, and the rest of my family members would do the washing up.

There's one unwritten rule when cooking Christmas dinners in this household, simplicity. The underlying theme is always traditional, hearty dishes, something that even my very very asian dad could enjoy.

Christmas Eve
Roast Beef and Vegetables

Sweet Potato Gratin
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Yorkshire Pudding

Raspberry White Chocolate Mousse

Christmas Day
Egg and Cheese Bake, for breakfast

Roast Chicken w/ Pork and Apple Stuffing
Spicy Potato Knish
Sticky Red Cabbage w/ Bacon and Apple
Suffice to say, we had enough food to feed a small army. I'm not even counting all the cookies and cakes that arrived at our doorstep Christmas day.  Among the most scrumptious was a blueberry cheesecake from our lovely neighbours and an apple strudel courtesy of my friend, Jeannette.

At the end of the day, We were all pretty stuffed. Jeannette assured me that it was physically impossible to gain 10 pounds in the span of 2 days, a fact that I was sure had happened to me. With that in mind, I went to bed exhausted but strangely fulfilled, in more ways than one.

Sticky Red Cabbage w/ Bacon & Apple
adapted from Jamie Oliver

Delicious, rich, tangy. This dish complimented the roast chicken so perfectly it's not even funny. I suspect it would go brilliantly with all kinds of roasted meat though. So definitely give it a go. 
  • 100 gr streaky bacon, bite-size pieces
  • 1 small red cabbage head, roughly chopped
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cubed
  • 1 medium onion
  • 75 ml balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 handful of parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 knob butter
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil
First off, heat pan with a generous serving of olive oil then add bacon. Cook until the bacon starts to shed their fat then add the onion and brown sugar. Cook with the lid on for a couple of minute, giving the onions time to caramelized. When all is nice and sticky, add the apple, cabbage, vinegar and season with salt and pepper.  Put the lid back on and let cook for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with parsley and butter on top.

Yield: 3-4 Servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment