Friday 10 December 2010

Twas a grate day..

Disclaimer : there will be blood.

Today did not begin well, and tomorrow won't likely be the start of a good weekend for me.  Finals are two days away and I've yet to open a single text book, do any of my assignments or type a single line of code.  I know you can't tell, thanks to the no-exclamation-mark rule in this blog, but I am slightly panicking right now, and after getting only 3 hours of sleep last night, I  probably won't be making much sense from here on out.


I had 2 things on my mind when I woke up at 4:30 this morning.  One, I need to find my sister's camera which I had apparently "lost".  Two,  I'll finally get around to buying a new kitchen knife today.  I was anxious and all geeked at the same time but, being a recently converted morning person, going back to sleep was not an option.  I know now that was a grave mistake but, my stomach was calling out to me and the thought of hot foamed latte and cheesy scrambled eggs was too good to resist.

Awesome morning sunlight, apparently getting up early has its benefits.

If there is a list of things I wouldn't be able to live without, my french press would be among the highest ranking members.  Probably the best 100k I've ever spent. No jokes.  It brews me good coffee, it foams milk perfectly, and single-handedly revolutionize my morning coffee experience.  Gone were the days of drinking coffee from a can or a plastic sachets and best of all, gone were the days of unfoamed milk.  Ok, I might be a little obsessed with foamed milk (and by a a little, I mean a lot) but trust me, if you brew your own coffee you can't help it.

Scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese cubes

Anyways, I was feeling great after my breakfast and life went on.  Fast forward to 12 pm, I was in the kitchen store,  trying out knives and feeling a bit lethargic (no comment there), when I noticed a perfectly shiny all-sided grater, not unlike this one.  I went to pick it up and examine the sides, as you do with an all-sided grater, and as I stood there, the freaking storekeeper creeped up behind me and practically screamed "can I help you?" right into my ear.  Next thing I know, the grater was up in the air, but, thanks to my cat-like reflexes, I instantly snatched it back, only to regret it exactly 3 seconds later.  Why?

That might not look like much, but that motherf***ing hurts

That's not even the worst part.  The worst part was me standing there pretending like my skin didn't just got peeled off with a cheese grater while the shopkeeper apologized and once again asked me if he could indeed, help me.  

Well, at least I went home with what I came for, the knife, albeit with less skin than I had, but a lesson is learned. Sleep deprivation, dangerous stuff, kids.

Now, I was actually debating whether or not to write a recipe for my scrambled eggs since its pretty simple, ingredients-wise, but I know some people *coughmymothercough* have trouble getting that nice soft consistency so I figured it couldn't hurt.

What you need:
  • 1 slice of streaky bacon, chopped into tiny bite size pieces
  • 2 organic eggs
  • 3 Belcube swiss cheese cube, cut in halves
  • dried oregano, optional
Basically just add bacon to a hot pan.  I use a non-stick pan, so I don't generally use butter or oil.  Cook the bacon for a minute or two in high heat until some of the fat melts away.  Now add the eggs and take the pan of heat. Now scramble the eggs, cooking it with the residual heat left from cooking the bacon.  Keep scrambling until all the heat is used up.  Add the cheese then put the pan back on very low heat.  Keep scrambling until it is the consistency you want.  Sprinkle the dried oregano on top.

Yield: 1 serving

No comments:

Post a Comment